Now that SLED 11 has been released and our server has arrived, I am in the process of prepping Evolution 2.24 for citywide deployment. The server has been built and configured, and today for the first time I started load testing. I am tuning for 300 concurrent, which Evo 2.6 on SLED 10 easily handles. With a user load of 21 people, I was getting the results below. Not good. Notification-daemon + dbus were chewing up tons of CPU.
With some tips in #evolution and poking around I made the following changes to the Evolution launch script:
/usr/bin/gconftool-2 --type Boolean --set /apps/evolution/eplugin/mail-notification/dbus-enabled False
/usr/bin/gconftool-2 --type Boolean --set /apps/evolution/eplugin/mail-notification/status-blink-icon False
/usr/bin/gconftool-2 --type Boolean --set /apps/evolution/eplugin/mail-notification/status-enabled False
/usr/bin/gconftool-2 --type list --list-type string --set /apps/evolution/eplugin/disabled "[org.gnome.evolution.sa_junk_plugin,org.gnome.evolution.mail_notification]"
This turns off all things blinking, dbus and calling the notification-daemon and now it's running much better. We already have a mail-notification popup applet running, and the alarms daemon will provide notification of meetings.
I will continue to tune over the coming weeks.
This is making me ponder how well newer versions of the GNOME desktop are going to scale on multi-user servers. Just a friendly reminder to people working on this code; keep those of us running hundreds of people in mind! :)
Update: Here is the same user load after the changes.