Friday, July 23, 2010

Friday Afternoon Adobe Rant

I have to join the voices today that are complaining about Adobe. I'm building a multi-year 64 bit server to run our Firefox sessions for hundreds of people. It should take me 5 minutes to install the PDF and Flash plugins. But guess what, it's 2010 and they still don't support 64bit platforms. So now I have to try and wrap them to run in 32bit mode which is uncovering bugs when used with Firefox 4. The beta 64bit Flash player seemed to show some promise, but I can't deploy it because it's too old in terms of security exploits.

So Adobe, you have a big market share with Internet content. You need to step up to the plate and make this content easier to deliver. If you can't, the world is going to move past you quickly.

Note: Yup I know about the open source projects to replace these products. They aren't a fit for us at this time.

No comments: