I finished moving over the 750 users to Evolution on SLED and last week was spent tuning the server. We have been using the GroupWise backend for about 18 months, and many users had built up massive calendars which were being pushed down each morning and slowing down the server. We have decided against retaining calendar cache from session to session because it's proven impossible to explain to people that they are seeing calendar events that might not be accurate during the period that the post office syncs all of the new events. It's better to just delete cache and push down a fresh set of data; once they see events it's 100% known to be current. Using the environmental variable GETQM_TIME_INTERVAL I tuned their calendars to only reload every 15 minutes to reduce open SOAP connections. We also activated auto-purging of old calendar events in the post office. Things are running much better this week as we continue to tune, here is a 'top' with 210 concurrent users running Evolution; I think we could get another 100-200 concurrent on this machine if required.
OpenOffice 2.3 came out yesterday and I put it live for the whole City. So far we haven't had any support calls related to the new release. The biggest features I have noticed so far are the new icon artwork, centered composer window and brand new chart module. Thank you to all of the QA people that make these upgrades so painless for me. As I have mentioned before all I have to do is install the RPM and change 2 lines in the OpenOffice launch script to point to the new release in /opt. I keep the old versions and a rollback is just as easy should major problems be discovered.